Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Week 1

Week 1: June 8, 2011
Weight:              186.5
Week Loss:           5.1
Cumulative Loss:    5.1

"Life is like a box of chocolates.
  It doesn't last long if you're morbidly obese."
         - From some angry British guy on twitter... I didn't catch the name

First off, I know that losing 5 pounds in a week is a fluke.  The same thing happened to me when I went on Weight Watchers the first time.  It comes off FAST in the very beginning, and gets less as time goes by.  So, let's put a little "Results Not Typical" label over this week's number and move on, lest it become an expectation.

This was our first week on Jenny Craig.  You might recall that I got 2 weeks of food from Jenny Craig, but split them with Seth instead, so we're both on the Jenny diet for one week.  We stuck to it very well, though we made our own diet-appropriate meals on Sunday so that our Jenny food would cover Seth for his work week through Wednesday.

The food is OK.  There's some things that are really awesome (I'm looking at YOU chocolate peanut butter caramel snack bar!!) and some that are decidedly poor, like the blueberry mini pancakes with tofu sausage.  (Not a fan of the tofu sausage.  At.  All.  *shudder*)    But most of the pre-packaged food falls smack in the middle of "meh" territory, which is pretty much par for the course for most of those light-fare frozen meals.  Really, light fare in general is pretty "meh".  It takes fat & calories to pique my interest, gastronomically speaking.

Now those of you who know Seth will probably think this next bit sounds like the one of the Signs Of The Apocalypse.  Seth has been eating his veggies.  Every day.  Lots of them.  He's had salad and cucumbers and tomato.  He's eaten spinach, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash and butternut squash. We had artichokes, which he has finally agreed do *not* actually taste anything like pistachio nuts.  He now thinks they taste a bit like potatoes.  He's wrong again, they taste like artichokes, but I digress.

He ate Broccoli.

...  BROCCOLI (!!!)

It'll worth it to me to stay on the Jenny diet if this is going to be the result.  I've been trying to get the man to eat veggies for years with no success.  I've been tickled pink all week.  I'll give him massive credit, he's really trying and sticking to this.  But then, so am I.

Overall, while it seems like it's working and I'll surely stick with it for at least one month, for the money I'm not enthralled with Jenny Craig.  Seth is more a fan than I am, I think.  The convenience is fantastic, which is what we were thinking, but I keep going back to the question of whether the convenience is worth the cash.  The amount of food you get for your money is pretty sad.  We've both been hungry most of the week.  This exchange from Sunday afternoon sums it up nicely:

Jade brings me a book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Me:    "OK, I'll read you the Hungry Caterpillar book."
Seth:  "He must be on Jenny Craig."

No comments:

Post a Comment