Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A year of weight loss blogging

Day 0: June 1, 2011
Current weight: 191.6
Cumulative weight loss: 0 (duh)

I've decided that after 2 pregnancies it's time to lose some of my accumulated padding.  To stay motivated, I thought perhaps I'd put together this little blog.  I'll post my results for the week and perhaps spout out whatever random thoughts might be in my head.   The aim is to do a post once a week for a year and lose some weight.

How much?  Well for now I'm content to set my goal at size 12's.  I have a lot of size 12 pants I like.  I'm guessing that the size 12 milestone will be around 165lbs.  That will be a loss of roughly 25 lbs.

This blog is the first part of my plan: Motivation!  Dieting is the second part.  (Yes, I know.  It's not "dieting", it's "changing how you eat in order to have a healthy lifestyle and sticking with those changes for life".  Bah  Humbug.  It's dieting.)  Exercise... I'll deal with exercise later.  Like when I can sleep through the night again.

With Jade at almost 2 years old, and Raven at 2 months, it's utter chaos here all the time.  I don't have time or energy to cook and plan, and never mind exercise. (I've written this in 5 minute blocks over the past week, to give you an idea of my life at the moment.)  Weight Watchers is a great program and I've had success with it in the past (2002-ish), but I thought I'd try something new that requires slightly less planning.

Today I started Jenny Craig's meal plan.  They send you all of your meals and snacks in a big box and give you a menu to follow.  There are 2 weeks of pre-planned food per shipment, and there's not a lot of thought or time required.  Microwave for 4-6 minutes and consume.  So far, so good.

Of course you also have to buy regular grocery items to supplement your meals like vegetables and salads and yogurt and milk and bread and... you get the idea. So it's not as easy as it could be.  Plus Seth wants to join me, so this first week we're both doing the Jenny diet using the food they sent, and then we'll do a week on our own.  We would have both joined at once, but we lack the requisite freezer space.  A chest freezer is going to be delivered next Thursday - a good thing to have in the house with 2 kids.  But anyway, if we both like the plan, he'll join up and get his own food once we have somewhere to store it.

So that's it.  This blog is essentially a motivational tool.  I'll consider the blog experiment a success if come next May 31st I've completed 52 entries, and lost some weight.

Let's see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment